God, Spirituality & Religion
Uniting EAST & WEST spiritually..!!
Story of Swami Vivekananda: Idol Worship
While on his all India trip, Swami Vivekananda came to Alwar on the way. He was received by the king Mangal Singh. They talked casually. King expressed that he doesn't believe using idols to worship to be a right practice.
Swamiji called Diwan (minister) who was standing at nearby. "Please spit on the image of King's father, hanging there." Swamiji pointed towards the photo of Mangal Singh's father. Diwan hesitated and did not do as Swamiji requested.
Swamiji concluded "Though that image is your father's and not your father, minster is hesitant to spit on it because it reminds of your father. Same way images/idols remind us of God. We don't worship the stone/metal that the idol is made of, it is the ideal & qualities that the form reminds that we worship."
Mangal Singh agreed, it made sense now.
6. Swami Vivekananda on eating Beef: A story [story]
12. Story of a thief who became a monk [story]
13. Be a Lion not a dog [story]
14. Forgive Others: story of Lord Ganesha [story]
15. Four holy men from four different religions [story]