God, Spirituality & Religion
Uniting EAST & WEST spiritually..!!
An Introduction to hinduism
From the ancient times Indian religion is known as Sanatana Dharma (sanatana=Eternal; dharma≈religion/ or that which leads to liberation) by the followers of the religion. They call it the Santana Dharma because they believe it is the same spiritual path that every person no matter how different they are is bound to follow, it is based on the belief that every soul evolves from lower consciousness towards higher until it finally attains liberation from rebirth or oneness with the universal soul (parabrahman or consciousness). Hinduism is not particularly rigid on the practices but on the principal that there is liberation and it is the ultimate there is. There have been numerous practices which are associated with Hinduism like Pooja (worship), Prarthana (prayer), japa, Bhajan (chanting).
Guru prescribes suitable practices for disciple's evolvement, thus there are no rituals that are must for a spiritual aspirant in this religion. With the decline of age (there are 4 ages Satya, Treta, Dwapara, Kali) It is believed that in lower ages people have no strength to understand purpose of spirituality, thus practices become major focus rather than the spiritual evolvement. However good practices are said to bind the aspirant in the right direction, thus many enlightened gurus themselves practice usual practices like prayer, worship, meditation and satsangs.
Place of origin: Indian subcontinent (India, Nepal, Eastern Pakistan region)
Hinduism according to hindu scriptures has been in existance for more than 10,000 years [note 1]. Researchers commonly agree that the hinduism has been in existance from 2000 BC.
According to hindu philosophy physical worlds which include universes, galaxies and solar systems appear 'during the day of Brahma' and merge back into consciousness during the 'night of Brahma'. Hindus believe there have been innumerable cycles of day/ night of Brahma. In the Hindu scriptures there are references to time before this day/ night cycle of Brahma [note 2], It is said that the Sanatana Dharma has been in existance in every day of the Brahma.
Note: There are four Yugas: SatyaYuga, TretaYuga, DwaparaYuga and Kaliyuga, they are said to span for 4800, 3600, 2400 and 1200 years respectively. SriYukteswar Giri, guru of Paramahansa Yogananda writes in his book 'The Holy Science' that the yugas are actually in Human years and must not be calculated in the demigods'. A day of demigods is approximately equal to an year on earth thus wrong calculation gives us 432,000 years of Kaliyuga, which is not proper.
There aren't definite number of sects in Hinduism, Each cultural group has its own practices. Below are few sects which are prominent among them.
1. Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev Quotes [topic]
2. Story of King Janaka & a monk [story]
3. Story of Shukdev meeting King Janaka [story]
4. Story of how Srimad Bhagavatam was written [story]
5. Story of Yajnavalkya & Janaka [story]
6. Jaya Radha Madhava: Lyrics & Meaning [chant]
7. Bhagavad Gita Dhyanam (Dhyana slokas) [topic]
10. Story of Jada Bharata from Srimad bhagavatam [story]
11. What if there is no God? What if Spirituality is sham? [question]
12. Yamas & Niyamas: Patanjali Yoga Sutras [topic]
13. Patanjali Yoga Sutra Quotes [topic]
14. Brahmanandam Parama Sukhadam: Lyrics & Meaning [mantra]
17. The Complete Works Of Swami Vivekananda [topic]
18. Story of King Janaka: I am God [story]
19. Similarities Between Hinduism & christianity [topic]
20. Law of Karma: is it Like an Eye for an Eye [topic]
23. Who should read Bhagavad Gita? Who is it for? [question]
26. What is the Purpose of Life? [question]
27. Is Hinduism Polytheistic? [question]
28. Story of Vibhishana: Always Pick Dharma [story]
29. Does Hinduism Condemn Atheism & Atheists? [question]
30. 'My India', A Poem by Paramahansa Yogananda [topic]
32. Who is a Brahmana? Buddha from Dhammapada [topic]
34. Hinduism & Science: 8.4 million Species of Life [topic]
35. Om Ajnana Timirandhasya: Lyrics & Meaning [mantra]
36. Akhanda Mandalakaram: Lyrics & Meaning [mantra]
38. Gajananam Bhoota Ganadhi Sevitam: Lyrics & Meaning [stotra]
41. Agajanana Padmarkam Lyrics & Meaning [mantra]
42. Vakratunda Mahakaya: Lyrics & Meaning [mantra]
43. Shuklambaradharam Vishnum: Lyrics & meaning [mantra]
44. Dwadasa Linga Sthavam: Lyrics & Meaning [mantra]
45. Mrityunjaya rudraya neelakanthaya: Lyrics & Meaning [stotra]
46. Karaagre Vasate Lakshmi prayer:Lyrics & meaning [prayer]
48. OM Namaste Astu Bhagavan: Shiva Stotram [stotra]