Who is a Brahmana? Buddha from Dhammapada
In the Dhammapada (Chapter 26) Buddha Lists the qualities that make a person Brahmana.
- He who is Thoughtful, Blameless, Settled, Dutiful, without Passions and who has attained the highest ends is a Brahmana.
- He who is Bright in his Meditation is a Brahmana.
- A man Rid of Evil is a Brahmana.
- He who does not attack his aggressor in anger is a Brahmana.
- He who holds his mind from the pleasures of life is a Brahmana.
- He who has no wish to injure and in whom the pain has ceased is a Brahmana.
- He who is controlled in Body, Mind and Speech and does not offend others through these means is a Brahmana.
- No one is a Brahmana because of his hairstyle or by birth or family, he whom in there is truth and righteousness is a Blessed Brahmana.
- A man regardless of his dirty attire, emaciated body if he lives in solitude and meditates, he is a Brahmana.
- One is not a Brahmana because he is rich or because his mother is one, a poor if his desires have vanished is a Brahmana.
- He who has cut all fetters, who never trembles, is independent and unshackled is a Brahmana
- He is a Brahmana who is free from anger, dutiful, virtuous, without appetite who has subdued his body.
- He is a Brahmana who does not cling to pleasures, like water on the lotus leaf, like mustard seed on the point of a needle
- He is a Brahmana who has understood suffering, has put down his burden (worries & attachment) and is unshackled
- He is a Brahmana whose knowledge is deep, who possesses wisdom, who knows the right way and the wrong and has attained the highest end.
- He is a Brahmana who keeps aloof from both layman and mendicants, and has few desires.
- He is a Brahmana who finds no fault with other beings whether weak or strong.
- He is a Brahmana who does not kill nor cause slaughter.
- He is a Brahmana who is Tolerant with the intolerant, mild with fault finders and free from passion among the passionate.
- He is a Brahmana from whom Anger & Hatred, Pride & Envy have dropped.
- He is a Brahmana who utters True speech, Instructive and Free from Harshness and Offends no one.
- He is a Brahmana who Takes nothing from the world, which is not given to him be it large or small, Good or Bad.
- He is a Brahmana who Fosters no desire for this world or the next, has no inclinations and is free.
- He is a Brahmana who has No interest, and has reached the depths of immortality.
- He is a Brahmana who is above both good and Evil, above the bondage of both; free from Grief, Sin and Impurity.
- He is a Brahmana who is Pure, Serene, Undisturbed and in whom all Gaiety is gone.
- He is a Brahmana who has successfully passed through the impossible world of vanities and reached the other shore.
- He is a Brahmana who is Thoughtful, Guileless, Free from Doubts, free from Attachments and is Content.
- He is a Brahmana who Leaving all Desires, Travels without a home, in whom all concupiscence is extinct .
- He is a Brahmana who leaving all belongings, travels without a home and in whom covetousness is extinct .
- He is a Brahmana who after leaving all bondage to men has risen above the bondage to even gods, and is free from all and every bondage.
- He is a Brahmana who has stopped entertaining both pleasure and pain and has ended the germination of renewed life.
- He is a Brahmana who calls nothing his own, and is free from the world of Love.
- He is a Brahmana who is manly, noble, the hero, the sage, the conqueror, the awakened.
- He is a Brahmana who knows his past, who sees heaven and hells and has reached end of births and is perfect in knowledge