God, Spirituality & Religion
Uniting EAST & WEST spiritually..!!
Are Hindus Idol Worshipers? Does Hinduism Allow Idolatry?
If Idol Worship means to worship God using forms- Then YES, Hindus are Idol worshipers.
If Idol Worship means to revere an idol, a stone, an object without personality, a thing without defined qualities or character- Then NO, Hindus are not Idol Worshipers.
Hindus use Forms of :
What do Hindu Scriptures Say about Idol Worship?
Conclusion: Scriptures say "No Form can represent God in entirety." and also agree "All forms are representation of God alone, since God alone exists and nothing else." Hinduism doesn't Condemn use of Idols, nor does it Prescribe it as the best means to truth. However according to each person's qualities it is considered helpful.
Note: Building of Temples and installation of Idols is said to have positive spiritual effect on a seeker if installed in a prescribed way, Usually spiritual energy called "Prana" is instilled through the vehicle of a self-realized Yogi.
Uses of Idol Worshiping:
Hinduism is not a limiting religion, it has over the time tried to open Humans into higher reality through various means. What would be generally considered taboo was also experimented and made into a spiritual path to help attain a spiritual Goal. There are as many personality types as there are people and thus necessity to have a path one could personally feel connected to, thus Hinduism keeps churning out different ways.
There are many things like Sex, Drugs (in prescribed quantity), Alcohol, Fasting, Singing, Dancing, Reading, Writing, Chanting (Mantras), Meditating, Mindfulness, Discussing, Self-analyzing, Righteous Living, Pilgrimage, Charity which are all various paths, Idol Worship is one among them.
5. Addendum to Evolution: Origins of the World [topic]
6. Bhagavad-Gita Treatise of Self-help [topic]
7. Sundara Kanda Hanuman's Odysey [topic]
8. Mundane distortions in the Divine discourse [topic]
9. List of direct disciples of Shirdi Sai Baba [topic]
10. Promises of Shirdi Sai Baba to his Devotees [topic]
11. The five pandavas and the story of their birth [topic]
12. Mahabharata Family Tree Chart [topic]
13. Lord Ganesha symbolism [topic]
14. What are the ashta (8) Siddhis and nava (9) nidhis [question]
15. Ashta Siddhis & other supernatural powers [topic]