God, Spirituality & Religion
Uniting EAST & WEST spiritually..!!
Hinduism & Sexuality: Soole Sankavva, a prostitute saint
Sankavva was a 12th century Poet & Saint (shiva sharane), she was a prostitute by profession. She is said to have come under the influence of Basavanna's movement. She gained respect of people and is considered a saint for her involvement with the movement, though her profession was looked down upon at her time.
What fascinates here is the vast acceptance that anyone can be spiritual and one's profession doesn't decide how spiritual they are.
She comes off as an open-minded, spiritually tall woman. She uses the ankita (pen name) "Nirlajjeshwara" meaning "Shiva, one without shame". She is said to have added "soole" meaning "prostitute" in front of her name to show it to the world that even a prostitute can become a saint.
Only one of her poems is said to have survived time, it was named "In my harlot’s trade"
4. Addendum to Evolution: Origins of the World [topic]
5. Bhagavad-Gita Treatise of Self-help [topic]
6. Sundara Kanda Hanuman's Odysey [topic]
7. Mundane distortions in the Divine discourse [topic]
9. Dashavatara of Lord Vishnu [topic]
10. List of direct disciples of Shirdi Sai Baba [topic]
11. Promises of Shirdi Sai Baba to his Devotees [topic]
12. The five pandavas and the story of their birth [topic]
13. Mahabharata Family Tree Chart [topic]
14. Markata Kishora Nyaya, Maarjaala Kishora Nyaya [topic]